Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Henry at 2 & 3/4

As a warning, this post contains lots of Henry pictures and Henryisms. Of course I think everything my kids do is adorable, so I want to write this all down for my memories. OK, maybe not everything, but close . . .

Everyday I'm amazed by something he says. He's got such a great sense of humor (whether he means to or not), is very observant and loves to narrate our lives.

One morning he headed downstairs to head out to Grandma's house. He was halfway down the stairs when he stopped, turned around and said, "Oops! I forgot Mommy's snuggle-oh!" He headed back upstairs and into my open arms. How can my day not be great after a start like that? (And, the "oh" part of the Snuggle-Oh comes from my tendency to say, "Oh" as I give him big bear hugs and snuggles.)

After he made it downstairs (and I was looking down from above), he exclaimed, "Mommy! I need a hat please! It's kinda cold down here, maybe." I grabbed three options from his closet, and he picked one that I threw down to him. He responded, "Thank you Mommy. I don't need the other ones. Maybe next time." So sweet!

One of his new favorite things to do is help us in the kitchen. He grabs a step stool and a spoon and waits for an opportunity to stir or help out in any way.

Helping Mommy bake brownies . . . Somehow he looks like the pro and I'm just tagging along!

_012912_22334 copy

_012912_22344 copy

_012912_22354

_012912_22359 copy

_012912_22367 copy

_012912_22373 copy

_012912_22380 copy

_012912_22398

And helping cook lunch (I'll bake with him anytime, but he did not get his love of cooking from me!)

_013012_22418 copy

_013012_22429

Unfortunately I was a bit premature in my previous stating that Henry was almost potty trained (see post here). We have definitely hit some potty training regression! He went from no accidents at all to absolutely refusing to use the potty and denying any accidents or dirty diapers (when we gave up on big boy undies). With a little less pressure to use the potty, lots of patience (very hard for this momma!) and a little push by letting him earn stickers and Cars 2 toy cars, he seems to be back on track for the most part. He's a pretty stubborn guy (no clue where he got that...), so when he's determined to go or not go, that's pretty much what happens. However, he does surprisingly well when we're out and about and asks to use the potty whenever we go anywhere. His love for using public toilets is a bit disconcerting, but I'm happy to oblige if it means changing one less diaper.

And one of his other favorite things to do at home - playing with Play Doh. The beach set that he plays with has a sand textured Play Doh that he loves, but Nate and I find particularly disgusting. As long as I don't have to touch it myself and he enjoys it so much, I'll refrain from throwing it in the trash.

_020312_22466 copy

_020312_22477

_020312_22483 copy

_020312_22494 copy

He loves to help with Owen's baths and stated the other night that "Owen can use the hot cocoa." I was quite confused until I realized that he was pointing to Owen's soap that has cocoa butter in it. As much as I'd like to believe my little genius read that on the bottle, I think it must have been something we said at some point. That kid forgets nothing.

Talking on his phone . . .

_013012_22430 copy

The other day, we were eating dinner, and Henry was talking away. He kept saying, "Today I feel silly." and "I put rolls on the cat." and "Mom says it's the heat." Completely baffled by what he was saying (and fearing just a little that he was losing it), we decided to google those things. And wouldn't you know, there's a book by Jamie Lee Curtis called Today I Feel Silly. And the book says, "Today I feel silly. Mom says it's the heat. I put rouge on the cat" and it goes on from there. Apparently this must be a book he reads a lot at school. Much more endearing when you realize he's not going crazy, but is actually memorizing a book, more or less!

Playing Guitar Hero with Daddy . . .

_021212_23032 copy

_021212_23038 copy

Sometimes it's so hard not to laugh when he does certain things. I know he's not trying to be funny and I don't want to hurt his feelings (not that he seems to mind yet), but he just so cute! Last night we were eating dinner and had veggies with quite a strong flavoring. He insisted that he also needed spray butter and wouldn't take a bite until we finally sprayed it on his broccoli. Not realizing it had a strong flavor of it's own, he took a big bite. His face went from a smile (from getting his way), to a completely disgusted look on his face. He looked up and saw we were watching him, so he slowly pulled the broccoli back out of his mouth, plastered a huge fake smile on his face and forced out an unconvincing, "Yum. I like that." Needless to say he didn't eat anymore and we probably will keep it a bit simpler from now on if he's determined to eat his broccoli!

And, my last Henryism. Whenever we have something that looks good to him (food, electronics, water glass), he sidles up next to us as he eyes it and exclaims, "I love to share." Then he slowly grabs for whatever it is and states, "I'm sharing with Mommy!" I can't quite convince him yet that sharing goes both ways, but it's so entertaining to me, that he often does, in fact, get to share with Mommy.

And some pictures that Henry took with his camera . . .

_122811_22930
The tide pools from our beach trip

_011312_22977 copy
His puzzle, foot, and Mommy & Daddy's legs. OK, I lied, one more Henryism: After putting together a puzzle, he yelled out, "Wait! I need to get my camera!", grabbed his camera and snapped some pictures of the puzzle. Wonder where he learned that?

_010111_22917 copy

_012512_22986

No comments:

Post a Comment